Education

The loophole in the Indian Education System: The reason for High Unemployment Rate?

The loophole in the Indian Education System: The reason for High Unemployment Rate?

We can see millions of students graduating every year and as per India Skill Report, the employability ratio is around 43% in 2022. That means only 43 out of every hundred students are good enough to be considered for employment in a company. If they can actually be employed is then another topic. So what about the rest 57% of students? Their educational qualification is next to nothing as the companies won’t even see their resume. Who is to blame? Are students not interested in studying, is the quality of education not up to the mark or the companies have set their standards very high?

Let’s first see what a normal student’s life looks like. A child starts school at age 3. Memorize pre-formulated questions and answers, write them in exams and get marks depending upon how good the child’s memory is. Now his marks decide which course and which college he will get into. If scores are less, he will go for arts or commerce. If scores are nice, he will go for science. The best of the students go for AIIMS, IITs, and NITs and the rest get themselves enrolled in mediocre colleges. The same story continues of memorizing answers and vomiting them in exams. And when they finally graduate they have just a paper as their proof of education called a degree. Now few students who are not satisfied with their education try to go abroad. For example, if you are a student of GTU and didn’t find the opportunity you are looking for, you will contact the transcript service provider, you will apply for a GTU transcript, apply for admission to a foreign institute, study and settle there. Let’s have a look at the blame game now.

1.             Its student’s fault that they are not employable:

While we can see thousands of students getting placed every year we can certainly blame students who are not employable. If a portion of students are getting jobs then why not others? We can say they are part of the same education system then what’s the difference? Well, the difference is their environment, their intelligence, and their IQ. The students who get placed have studied either from top schools or top colleges of the country or they can crack the toughest exams in the country. The rest of the students are just ignorant, having less or no guidance from their institute.

2.               The education system:

In the example mentioned above of the student who was looking for transcriptservices and applied for a GTU transcript, we can see he will prefer to go abroad for better education but will not put his efforts to study in top institutes in India. Why? It is because of the education system. Right from the beginning, a student is fed so much information. History, geography, atoms, molecules, algebra, trigonometry, etc. that he might never need. A child loses interest in studies right from the beginning. Instead of learning the concepts, they are more inclined towards passing the exams (we need to blame the parents too for this). And if a student studies to pass an exam, why will someone hire them?

3.             Companies setting a high standard for their employees:

Every company wants a talented workforce who can contribute to the growth of the company. If I am looking for someone who can do digital marketing for my company, I will need someone who knows how to do it. I will not need someone who has memorized the concepts of marketing and forgotten them the next semester, right? The top companies know they will get a quality candidate from top institutes as they provide practical skill-based education. Few small companies manage with someone who has prior experience. And few other companies hire just anyone, give work-based training, and get their work done.

So we know what the reasons are that graduates are unemployable. The cost of education is rising day by day. Inflation is rising and it becomes difficult for parents to provide their children with quality education. As per the ministry of education, students enrolled up to class 8 are in ratio 73:27, where 73% are in government schools and 27% are in private. And it is needless to comment on the quality of education provided in government schools. So what should the students do? Not everyone can fly abroad like the one (in the example above) who took a GTU transcript, applied to a foreign university, and settled abroad. What are your views on the low employability rate? Who to blame and what is the solution? DO write down in the comments section below.

Share this post

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.